August 20, 2021

Book Review: The Forest I Know by Kala Ramesh


 

Title: The Forest I Know

Author: Kala Ramesh

Publisher: Harpercollins India

Genre: Poetry

Pages: 170

 

The Forest I know by Kala Ramesh, is a stunning collection of poetry centered around nature and human behavior. It reflects on quietness and beauty of being alive. These short poems are so comforting and impactful, mostly based on universal sentiments.

 

While reading these tanka pieces, I tried to absorb every word relates to my core. Somewhere, I found connectedness to village home and my childhood as well. I felt her work as fresh breath, each fragment shaped by understanding of people and life.

 

a visit
to our childhood home
I feel stripped
when those old trees
see me without my dreams

 

Her poems don’t follow any specific structural pattern, uses of free verses is more like music to ears, engaging and full of enigmatic observations. She has ability to evoke emotions and transform her reader into a world of senses. Her observant eye expresses the depth of her craft and artistry

 

today I think
of all my yesteryears
with you
and were you ever with me
at any time at all?

 

Basically, this book begins with a prose piece ─ A gaping whole ─ about a little girl and eventually we start discovering the portrait of a woman. It is a kind of journey that shines into self-discovery, acceptance and sustainable understanding. 

 

Each passage feels like perceptive meditation on nature, human behavior and relationships. Certain poems have tied with bit melancholy and familiar sadness, ‘My heart weeps for the child I have never seen.’

I loved her poems, more than that liked the way she perceives her surrounding, her technique of adding layers to sharpen the imagery. As if we are floating in her poetic conscience.


the red dot
on my forehead
binds me
to a man
who's in his own orbit

 

Her writing is simple yet lyrical. The way she captures joy in each situation, even celebrate the pain is inexplicable. Each passage feels like perceptive meditation on nature, human behavior and relationships. Here, I am sharing some details of my favourite pieces from this collection:

 

In Vratham, Kala describes the value of our roots in a metaphorical form; she gives example of Ekadashi Vrat ‘Twice a month grandmother refused to join us for a meal.’

 

In A Dewdrop World, Kala depicts the hidden meaning of making art, ‘When I asked a potter how she shaped her pots so effortlessly. She answered…’ That answer really amazed me as a reader.

 

I am
what I make of dreams
a dewdrop
holds the moon 


In a passage titled ‘The Unlearned’, she discussed the bishnois in the state of Rajasthan who bury their dead instead of cremating them. This is such thought-provoking piece. At one place, she also mentions about Ustad Bismillah Khan and how his Shehnai shapes the raga.

In Baggage, she has beautifully woven the moment around scribbling, and left us with a quote ‘Habits die after all’

In Bitterness, she talks about her ailing mother, who is heading for Alzheimer and her unsolved puzzle about hairs that fall.

In a way these Tanka proses and Dohas included her own passionate presence, which gives it a doubt of autobiography or personal diary.  Each verse is so beautiful and heartfelt, As if some deserted land was seeking for raindrops. What I have learnt that Kala captured the beauty of one’s presence in a particular moment. Some poems are so good; I reread them and tried to catch the magic of her world she lives in.


at twilight
the forest I know
by sight
becomes a forest of sound
cicada summer 

___ 

for eons, waves
have danced the pebbles
to perfection … but
it’s the sand through my fingers
that leaves me spellbound.



In the end of a book, Michael McClintok has added a short essay on her poetry. He states ‘The truth Kala discovers are universal and cross cultural. They speak directly to the human condition. Her self-examination consistently pivots on the observation of the others around her, to whom she compares her own beliefs, feelings and expectations, frequently expressing disappointment and sense of her own naivety.’

Though I had never heard of Kala Ramesh before reading ‘The forest I know’ but that all up to my ignorance only. She is the recent favourite discovery. I am definitely going to search her work in journals.

This book is balm for wearied beings. If you are new to poetry and really want to pick one book, I will unhesitatingly recommend this collection to you. 

Amazon: The Forest I know by Kala Ramesh

This review is powered by Blogchatter Book Review Program.