September 05, 2016

Book Review: Library of Luminaries: Frida Kahlo: An illustrated Biography by Zena Alkayat


Title: Library of Luminaries: Frida kahlo  
Author: Zena Alkayat
Illustrator: Nina Cosford
Publisher: Chronicle books LLC
ISBN: 9781452150239
Genre: Biography, Non Fiction
Pages: 135
Rating:  5/5

The moment I started reading this book I knew this would be an indescribable piece of art and book proved me right. Basically Zena alkayat described a life history of Frida Kahlo in a most beautiful manner. I didn’t know anything about frida except that she was a flawless painter who had lived her artistic charm.

But when we take glance an artist we only observe the upper surface where the success blossoms, we forget to unfold their life history. And literally I was in tears when I was going through this book. how could someone paint grief. Life was tough for her, beyond our imagination still she lived it gracefully.  

“I believe that by working i will forget the sorrows and i will be able to be a little happier.”

“my paintings are the most frank expression of myself, without taking into consideration either judgments or prejudices of anyone.''

It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light. —Frida Kahlo

Illustrations are so beautiful that you don’t feel to stop in middle. How an accident shattered her childhood, she had been living not only with physical pain but she struggled with the pain in relationships. She was a painter but more than that She was a Lover, An inspiration, A Life with creative Vision. 




ABOUT AUTHOR

Zena Alkayat is a journalist, author, and editor based in London.